Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Important Half of Tootsie and Teed

"I am fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals." ~Winston Churchill

I think Winston Churchill was referring to guinea pigs!  And who knew that Winston Churchill had a passion for animals??  Let me ramble just a bit, my friends, as I confess that I have lost my dear guinea pig friend Tootsie Roll.  He was definitely the important half of Tootsie and Teed.  I truly thought that this fabulous pig, the one that thought he was truly a student in the third grade room, was a forever guy.  Then, last week, I realized that even with guinea pigs all good things eventually end.  My piggy left me last week and to say that I am broken hearted is putting it mildly.  Ok, now that you're all done laughing at me for being so silly I just have to say that he was more than just a pet that I cleaned and fed.  He was the keeper of lots of secrets who went through many many events in my life silently, with love, and above all with understanding.  I think that pets are the most insightful of us all.  They also love us unconditionally and treat us like kings and queens (if he only knew!!)  I got TONS of inspiration from my little furry friend.  He made many, many students smile and feel special.  That was the greatest gift of all...he made my students, all of my special kiddos who don't feel so special sometimes, feel special.  After his passing I tried to decide what would be fair to all including myself.  I decided that my third grade room just wasn't complete without a pal so I did what I'm sure my piggy Tootsie would have wanted...I adopted a guinea from a rescue in Madison.  This little piggy's name is Penelope.  She is a dear...lots of long hair, a peruvian, and very, very calm.  She waits in the wings to be petted and held.  I think it's going to be a perfect pet for my third graders.  My kiddos will continue to learn about love, responsibility, and God's creation.  I am blessed to have this little critter in my room.  I'll post pictures of her and a few new ideas as I venture into a great new school year.  I appreciate your friendship everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment