Sunday, February 24, 2013

"Ain't Nothing Gonna Break My Stride!"

For those of you who know me or have listened to me ramble about running, you know that I'm a runner.  I ran track in high school all those years ago and in college revisited the whole running sport but I must say half-heartedly.  When I turned 42 my then 4th grader, my son with autism, hit a huge bump in the road.  I ended up quitting my job at the school, I worked as a supervisor and in-school sub, and tried desperately to figure out how I could best help him.  I knew that I couldn't work both outside and inside the home and embraced being "on call" to help him get through those tough times.  Needless to say, those were some of the most difficult for me, too.  I started searching for a way to minimize the stress and sadness I felt.  I started walking but realized that as the miles increased so too did the hours.  Then I thought, "...hey wait a minute...I used to run."  But for someone of my age, gotta laugh at that, I was pretty unsure.  Long story short I've been running for 11 years and find so many, many benefits to it.  I've had some high points in the runs too, getting some trophy's and medals in races and a few years ago completing my first 1/2 marathon.  The hard part has always been the Wisconsin winters as I don't like to run indoors.  I'm spoiled that way.  I like to put on a pair of shoes and some winter gear and get movin'.  Some how or other I, shall we say, fell off the wagon with my runs.  I haven't run since December...don't know why really.  Yes, I could say that life is so fast and hectic, that things at school have increased this year, that I am STILL and always will be a mom first, that my precious grandbaby helps me realize I need to spend some special time with her, etc. etc.  The point is I forgot about me, and I forgot about what creates a fire inside my soul, and what connects me with my God, and how creative I can be when I run.  So...long story short, I got out and ran yesterday and today and I'm a new person.  Running makes me look at things differently, gives me more energy that I would ever have thought, and reminds me of the pure joy I feel when I run.  Yes, it was difficult but not as bad as I would have thought.  I'm still in the semi-conditioned mode I guess.  It was a great day for self discovery and for the realization that I truly need to spend time by myself in my own "zone".  Without quiet, private, alone time with my God and my daddy angel, I can't be the person that I know I'm suppose to be.  Please take good time, friends, to remind yourself that in spite of our fabulous job of teaching others, and being a special person to others, you MUST find time to take care of you.  It is essential.  I continue to re-learn that!
Peace and love,

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda,

    I just happened to see your blog when looking around on TpT. I was JUST thinking about what you're talking about here, about taking care of yourself. We as teachers are always SO busy taking care of others (little people and family), that we often neglect ourselves. I live in NC, so I have no excuse to not get out for a run a couple times a week. I'm usually pretty good about this, but a reminder is always encouraging. I'm your newest follower, love the blog! :)

    Mandy
    www.the4thgradejourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete