Friday, July 6, 2012

I RECOMMEND FRIDAY!

"If you see someone without a smile today give them one of yours!  Live simply.  Love seriously.  Care deeply.  Speak kindly.  Leave the rest to God."

It's still hot today but I'm thinking that in another 24 hours we will all be able to breathe a little easier in Wisconsin anyway.  Now, if only we could get just a few raindrops...Oh well...one step at a time!

I have a couple of recommendations on this fabulous Friday the 6th.  Here goes:
1)  Recommendation #1 - I'm getting obsessed with Fry's Phrases and found a great website that not only has Fry's Phrases but his word list made into flashcards that can be printed out for EACH grade level...woot, woot!!   Here's the link in case you'd like to go check it out:  www.uniqueteachingresources.com.
2)  Recommendation #2 - Last school year I decided to introduce my students to a vocabulary word of the day.  These words were not necessarily third grade words but words I wanted them to remember and hopefully use in their writing.  Each day at Smart board opener I "revealed" the new vocabulary word.  We all have student dictionaries, exactly alike, and we looked the word up together.  We found the page it was found on and answered questions about this new vocabulary word including the guide word on the left and right, column, part of speech, meaning, syllables, opened or closed syllables, and ordinal number position it held in the column.  We put each new vocabulary word into a sentence.  I  wrote the new vocabulary word on my new wipe off board that I made.

I typed out all new vocabulary words and had them displayed around my room to refer to.  It was fun watching our list grow and we used these words throughout our school year.  We started with the word love and ended with the word goodbye.  Such a great vocabulary word journey for sure.

3) Recommendation #3 - I think my brand new lesson - a round flipbook about our world entitled:  Strike up the Band - Celebrating our Earthly Location is truly one of my best yet.  And...to celebrate it and the upcoming marching band season I am having a sale this weekend...15% off all my products through Sunday.  Go and take a peek.  Hopefully you will like it as much as I do.  Here's the link:

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Strike-up-the-BandCelebrating-our-Earthly-Location

Thank you for making my first few weeks in blogland a true delight!!  You're the best!

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog & I'm your newest follower! I absolutely love your vocabulary word of the day idea!! I am looking forward to following along! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete